Here’s how you can make Beyonce’s Charm Necklace (from her XO) video for yourself:
1. Tape down your two chains, the thick one (22 inches) and the medium size one (14 inches), to a work surface. Let’s call the thick chain, “Chain A”, the medium size chain, “Chain B”, and the thinner chain that’ll be used to connect the charms, “Chain C”. Chain B should be centered underneath Chain A. For example:
2. Use the jump rings to connect the two chains. For jump ring placement follow the pattern below. This is very important, otherwise your chain will not lay flat around your neck.
3. Put the linked chains around your neck and determine where the center of your chain is. Place a jump ring on the link (on Chain B) that marks the center of the necklace. Cut off 3 inches of the Chain C, and attach a jump ring to one end of Chain C, and attach your biggest charm piece to the other end of the chain C.
4. Add the other charms to the necklace by arranging your charms in the pattern shown in the picture below. For each charm, estimate how much of Chain C you’ll need. Or, if you’d prefer, measure the distance between Chain B’s link and where you want the charm to be. Then, cut Chain C based on your measurement needs, place a jump ring on one end of cut Chain C, and place your charm on the other end of Chain C. Connect the jump ring on Chain C to a link on Chain B.
5. Continue adding the remaining smaller charms to the remaining links on Chain B. I used 18 charms on each side of the big middle charm. So, 37 charms in total (including the center piece charm).
6. Place a jump ring on one end of Chain A, and a jump ring connect to a lobster clasp on the other end of Chain A, and you’re done.
Here’s what my charm necklace looks like:
For more information about how to style this statement necklace check out Kela’s Kloset article (particularly number 11).