Here’s how you can make your very own Leather Panel Shorts like these ones:
1. Try on your leggings inside out and mark how long (or short) you’d like your shorts to be
2. Cut your leggings at the desired length. Put on the leggings (now shorts) inside out and use a measuring tape to measure and mark where you’d like the leather patch to line up. Repeat on the back of the shorts. In total, you should have 4 lines drawn on your shorts.
3. Take the shorts off and cut out one side (the left or the right side, you choose) of the shorts where the leather panel will be inserted. Make sure to cut along the line that you made on the front of the shorts, and the line you drew on the back of the shorts. After following this step, you should have something like this:
4. Place the panel that you have just cut out onto the faux leather fabric and trace it; be sure to create an outline for 1/2 inch seam allowance. Cut out the pattern, and it should look like this:
5. Hem the left and the right side of the pattern by folding the outer edges of the fabric so that they meet the lines of the “original pattern”, pin it down, and then sew. Make sure the leather side of the fabric is Not face up while you are sewing. It should look like this:
6. With the shorts inside out, pin down (one of) the open edges of the shorts onto the hem that was previously sewn on the leather panel, and then sew the two pieces (the shorts and the panel) together. Then, turn the shorts on the right side and do a top stitch over the two pieces that were just sewn together. It should look like this:
7 . With the shorts turned inside out connect the other side of the panel to the other open end of the shorts following the same actions from step 6. Don’t forget to topstitch. The shorts should now look like this:
8. Turn the shorts inside out. Create a rolled hem (a hem with two folds instead of just one) at the top and the bottom of the shorts by folding the top edge of the leather fabric to meet the line of the “original pattern”, pin it, and then sew. Repeat this step with the bottom edge of the leather fabric. Your shorts should now look like this:
9. Repeat steps 4-8 on the other side of the shorts.
Here’s how my shorts came out: